National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

HDP banner
find a parknatureworking with communitiesget involvedteacherskidsabout us

The Maurin Building

HABS photo of Maurin Building
HABS NM-214
Calle Principal
Mesilla, New Mexico

When Augustine Maurin began construction of his store on the southwest corner of the Mesilla plaza in 1859, he used brick from his own kiln, which was located about half a mile from the town of Mesilla, making it one of the earliest structures using local brick in New Mexico. Maurin, the original owner, and his partner, Eugene Leonart, were of French origin and owned much property in Mesilla Valley. However, in 1861, Leonart sold merchandise to Confederates who occupied Fort Fillmore and Mesilla, and when they withdrew in early 1862 to Texas, he accompanied them. Maurin continued the business in Mesilla and also owned at least three farms. He was murdered by robbers in his adobe apartment, which adjoins the brick Mesilla store. A relative, Cesar Maurin, came from France to claim the property and died in 1868, from age and infirmity, according to a coroner's jury. The Historic American Buildings Survey documented the Maurin Building in 2005.