Questions for Photos 1 & 2
1. Based on what you learned in Reading 1, what desegregation plan was in effect when these pictures were taken?
2. Note the sole African American player, Cynthia Gaines, in Photo 1. How do you think it felt to be the only African American player on the team?
3. Cynthia Gaines would not have been able to play basketball at George W. Watkins--they did not have a basketball team. How did the athletic opportunities differ between New Kent School and the George W. Watkins School? If needed, refer to Reading 3.
4. In Reading 3, Mrs. Gaines recounts a story about the first time she traveled to an away game. What happened to her at that game? How do you think she felt? Could that happen today? Explain your answer.
* The photos on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Photo 1 and Photo 2, but be aware that each file will take as much as 32 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.