|The Dodge County Jail is significant under Criteria A and C at the local level as a good example of a late-19th-century jail built in a county seat in Georgia. The period of significance begins with the 1897 construction date and continues to the end of the historic period in 1963, during which it was in continuous use as a jail. The jail is significant in the area of architecture as a good and intact example of a late Victorianera building constructed to serve as a county jail and sheriff's residence. The two-story brick building retains its original plan and materials, with an intact residential area and pre-fabricated jail works by the Pauly Jail Building Company of St. Louis, a major jail design firm. The architect was James W. Golucke of the Atlanta firm of Golucke and Stewart, noted for their design of several Georgia courthouses. Two later additions were constructed between 1949 and 1954. The Dodge County Jail is also significant in the area of politics and government because it served as the county's only jail from 1897 until 1973, as well as the residence for the county sheriff and his family, a system common to the early 20th century, but not usually found today. This jail reflects the county government system that developed in the state of Georgia. Along with county courthouses, jails represented law, order, and a sense of community. The imposing building suggests that the newly formed Dodge County intended to convey a sense of solemnity and grandeur around its government complex.