Pink/lighter areas on the floor plans are considered "servant spaces" and blue/darker areas are considered "family/public spaces."
Questions for Drawings 1-3
1. Carefully examine each floor plan of the mansion. Make a list of spaces used by servants and by family. What kinds of spaces are considered "servant spaces?" Where are the servant spaces? What percentage of the house is devoted to servants versus family?
2. Why do you think there are two sets of stairs? Which rooms are easily accessible from the servants' staircase?
3. How many doors from servant spaces on each level lead to family/public space?
4. Do you think the house was designed having servants in mind? Why or why not?
5. From the employer's point-of-view, what concerns would you have about live-in servants? From the servant's point-of-view, what concerns would you have about living in your employer's home?
* The images on this screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Drawing 1, Drawing 2, and Drawing 3, but be aware that each file will take as much as 45 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.