National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program:
Rose City Golf Clubhouse,
Portland, Oregon

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

[Graphic] Weekly Highlight Property

The Rose City Golf Clubhouse, located at 22OO NE 71'' Avenue in Portland, Oregon, was the second municipal golf course established in Oregon and the oldest surviving example of a municipal golf clubhouse in Portland. The Clubhouse is important to local history as a recreational facility that is integral with the sport of golf's rise in popularity with the general public during the period in which it was developed. Constructed in 1931 and 1932, the clubhouse was designed by Portland architect Herbert A. Angell and constructed by general contractor B. T. Allyn. This clubhouse was built as the main facility for the Rose City Golf Course. Herpert A. Angell's clubhouse design reflected national trends in clubhouse architecture, with many architects adopting specific elements for golf clubhouses. When golf first emerged in the United States in the late 19th century, the game was restricted to members of the country's upper class. Many became acquainted with the Scottish game by joining elite country clubs. During the 1910s and 1920s the clubhouse became the center of social life for the upper and middle classes, as membership in a country club were a mark of distinction.

Read the full file on the Rose City Golf Clubhouse

To see more photographs of National Register properties go to our photostream on Flickr.

See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)