National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program:
United States Post Office and Court House,
Wausau, Wisconsin

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

[Graphic] Weekly Highlight Property

Built between 1937 and 1938, the United States Post Office and Court House in Wausau, Wisconsin is a locally prominent landmark listed on the National Register for its architecture and its association with local government. The building occupies half of a city block and is situated within a predominantly commercial area in the heart of the central business district of Wausau. From its opening in 1938, until its postal operations ceased in 1969, the building served as the center for the city’s postal operation, as one of a handful of federal circuit courts in northern Wisconsin, and as the nexus for federal agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Labor Department, and the Internal Revenue Service.

The building was designed by Wausau’s most prominent architectural firm, Oppenhamer & Obel, for the Supervising Architect’s Office. The architects employed a pared-back rendition of the Art Deco style for the building, characterized by its relatively simple form with flat surfaces arranged in a linear, determinedly modernistic pattern. Noteworthy spaces within the building include the postal lobby on the first floor and the courtroom on the second, both of which feature Art Deco craftsmanship.

Read the full file on United States Post Office and Court House

To see more photographs of National Register properties go to our photostream on Flickr.

See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)