Tallgrass Prairie: A Multidisciplinary Curriculum
- Grade Level:
- Fourth Grade-Twelfth Grade
- Biodiversity, Conservation, Ecology, Environment, Fire Ecology, geology, Hydrology
- Group Size:
- Up to 24
- National/State Standards:
- Iowa Core: Life Science, Middle (6 - 8)
OverviewPrepare students for a visit to the 81-acre tallgrass prairie at Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. Activities strenghten skills in observation, analysis, and interpretation in the field and in the classroom. Activities are written with middle school students in mind, but may be appropriate for other ages.
Teachers and students will be prepared for a visit to the tallgrass prairie at Herbert Hoover National Historic Site.
- Become acquainted with Iowa's tallgrass prairie, its formation, and its demise.
- Be introduced to ecological principals and concepts through study of the tallgrass prairie.
- Recognize that environmental issues are multidisciplinary in scope.
- Strengthen their skills in ovservation, analysis, and interpretation, bot hin the field and in the classroom.