• Halema`uma`u Just Before Dawn

    Hawai'i Volcanoes

    National Park Hawai'i

Do Business With Us


Commercial Use Authorizations

Section 418 of the National Parks Omnibus Management Act of 1998, Public Law 105-391 (Section 418), authorizes the National Park Service (NPS) to issue commercial use authorizations (CUAs) to persons (referring to individuals, corporations, and other entities) to provide commercial services to park area visitors in limited circumstances. CUAs provide a means to authorize suitable commercial services to visitors in park areas. The CUA is used to provide for incidental use of park area resources by operators who provide commercial services originating and terminating outside of the park area (Out-of-Park-Services). Prior to 2007, these services were typically authorized by the Incidental Business Permit (IBP).

The permit system will apply to all companies providing commercial visitor services to units of the National Park System, including taxi services providing tours.

The National Park Service areas on the Island of Hawaiʻi (Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site, Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park and Puʻuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park) will be doing their own individual Commercial Use Authorization Permit. Starting in 2012, please contact Jeanette Gillespie at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park on securing a permit for all three of these parks. 808-329-6881, ext. 1331.

What does this mean to your company?

The complete instruction and application package is available on this website . Links to the Commercial Use Application Form and Instructions are listed above.


The application process is similar to the IBP process but all applications will be sent to Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.


The insurance requirements will remain the same, a minimum of $300,000 general liability and all liability policies must specify that the insurance company will (1) have no right or subrogation against the United States of America AND must (2) provide that the United States of America is named an additional insured. Copies of your insurance statements are again needed to ensure that you have proper coverage for any incidents that may occur. CUA regulations require updated insurance records.


All National Park Service (NPS) areas are required to report visitor use statistics, previously called visitor counts, to the NPS Washington Office via a web-based system. To develop a more accurate visitation assessment, we need our partners' support in recording the type of use and number of visitors your company brings to the NPS areas.


Entrance fees will remain the same for commercial use.

Entrance Fees

Non-Road Based Guided Tours $5.00 per person*
(Commercial groups participating in non-road based activities (hiking, bicycling, etc.)
*This fee is waived for visitors under 16.

Road Based Tours:


User Fee


$ 25.00 + $5.00 per person

7-15 person van


16-25 person mini-bus


26, or more, person bus


Permit Fees

One-Year Authorization: $200.
*New applicants will only be allowed to apply for the One-Year Permit.

Two-Year Authorization: $300.

*For Combination Permit at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park add an additional $50 to the permit.

Should you have questions regarding this information please contact the Commercial Services office at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park at 808-985-6027.

Did You Know?