Sunrise and sunset are among the celestial phenomenon visible from the park - according to the whims of the weather. If you are planning to visit the the summit area at dawn or dusk, please keep in mind the following:
- The visitor centers are not open at these times.
- Temperatures immediately before dawn and immediately after dusk are regularly below freezing.
- Weather is unpredictable, but is often windy and wet.
- There are NO weather predictions available for sunrise, sunset is slightly more forseeable.
- There is no food, clothing or gas for sale in the park.
- The road up and down the mountain does not have streetlights.
- It takes approximately 1.5 hours to drive between Kahului and the summit.
- Parking is restricted to designated lots only.
- Parking lots will be closed when full - especially at sunrise.
For ideas on other things to at Haleakala, please check out Plan Your Visit. Why not bring a breakfast picnic and stay after the sun comes up for a hike through the volcanic landscape?