This curriculum will introduce students and their families to the marine, coastal, rain forest, invasive species and alpine-aeolian ecosystems of Haleakalā National Park.
• Each module (marine, coastal, rain forest, invasive species and alpine-aeolian) contains five units exploring different characteristics and components of the ecosystem.
• Each activity is correlated to the State of Hawai'i high school science educational standards, offering educators a way to fulfill educational requirements using local ecosystems and issues as a context.
• There are multiple classroom activities in each unit that can be used to supplement existing lesson plans.
• Increased literacy in science and current issues will benefit students, their communities and National Parks service-wide, because invasive alien species are not unique to Hawai'i.
• Includes background information, resources, teaching suggestions, and hands-on activities.
• These materials help bring science home for students while fostering a strong science background and critical-thinking skills.
Hō'ike o Haleakalā website: http://www.hoikecurriculum.org/
Online Hawaiian Dictionary: http://wehewehe.org/