Temporary Suspension of Reference Collection Research
Due to preservation and maintenance work scheduled for the park archives and research room/library space, new public research requests will not be filled from June 1st to at least January 30th, 2014.
Change in Park Hours
Beginning November 1, the park will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the last shuttle bus departing Lower Town at 5:15 p.m. More »
Rivers and Streams
While visiting the park's historical district, walk past John Brown's Fort, under the Winchester and Potomac Railroad bridge, and out to the Point. From here one can observe the two rivers that border either side of the town. On the left lies the Potomac River and to the right lies the ShenandoahRiver. About 360 million years ago, the Potomac began cutting its way through the Appalachian Mountains, forming the water gap that lies between Maryland and LoudounHeights. After the Appalachians were worn down, run-off water collected at their base, forming the ShenandoahRiver. When visiting Harpers Ferry today, one can see how the Shenandoah and Potomac gracefully come together, flowing eastward to the Chesapeake Bay as the Potomac River.
Did You Know?
Virginius Island was a thriving 19th-century industrial town along the Shenandoah River. By 1859, there were about three dozen buildings there.