• Sun beginning to set at Harpers Ferry, as seen from Maryland Heights. Photo by NPS Volunteer Buddy Secor.

    Harpers Ferry

    National Historical Park WV,VA,MD

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Change in Park Hours

    The park is currently open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the last shuttle bus departing Lower Town at 6:45 p.m. More »

Peregrine Falcon Restoration Program

Peregrine falcon is fitted with a transmitter.

June 18, 2001: Craig Koppie, endangered species biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, holds one of the female falcons fitted with a transmitter on Maryland Heights, 800 feet above the Potomac River.

National Park Service

2004 was the fourth year of a multi-year project to restore peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus) to an historic nesting site on Maryland Heights. In addition to peregrine falcon restoration, this project will help obtain information about this migratory raptor species using satellite technology. This is an exciting opportunity to restore a migratory raptor species to its former range at Harpers Ferry, and to understand dispersal patterns, nesting habits, migration, mortality rates and other information which are unknown about this species. Peregrines were last seen nesting near Harpers Ferry in the 1952. In 1999, the peregrine falcon was delisted as a federal endangered species. However, it continues to be listed as a state endangered species in Virginia and Maryland.

This project is part of a post-recovery program involving federal and state government agencies, private non-profit organizations, and corporations dedicated to the recovery and understanding of peregrine falcons. Without their support, the Harpers Ferry project could not take place.

Related Links:

Peregrine Falcon Facts

Restoring Peregrine Falcons to the Park

Did You Know?

Today the John Brown Fort is across the street from its original location.

John Brown's Fort has been moved 4 times: in 1891 to Chicago to the World's Columbian Exposition, in 1895 to the Murphy Farm near Harpers Ferry, in 1909 to Storer College Campus and in 1968 to its present location.