Temporary Suspension of Reference Collection Research
Due to preservation and maintenance work scheduled for the park archives and research room/library space, new public research requests will not be filled from June 1st to at least January 30th, 2014.
Change in Park Hours
The park is currently open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the last shuttle bus departing Lower Town at 5:45 p.m. More »
Historically, 43 species of fish have been encountered in the waters of the park, including the Potomac and ShenandoahRivers and the streams leading into them. Popular freshwater game fish include largemouth and smallmouth bass (Micropterus salmoides and M. dolomieu), channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus), and bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus). Beginning in Spring 2003, the park will be undertaking a fish inventory. Results of this survey will be made available upon its completion.
Did You Know?
John Brown's Fort has been moved 4 times: in 1891 to Chicago to the World's Columbian Exposition, in 1895 to the Murphy Farm near Harpers Ferry, in 1909 to Storer College Campus and in 1968 to its present location.