Partial Closure on Horn Island
Small portion of Horn Island, Mississippi, closed to entry due to discovery of asbestos and possible other bio hazards. Click on more for map and press release. More »
Shorebirds Nesting Near Roads - 20 mph
Shorebirds are nesting near roads and cross the road regularly. Observe posted speed limits and be alert for tiny birds on the roads. Last year 155 birds were killed on park roads, help us reduce the mortality rate of these beautiful birds and go slow.
Park Areas That Are Closed
Please click on links below for more information
OSPREY CLOSURES ON THE MISSISSIPPI ISLANDS
· East Tip from the east end of the treeline to the east side of Arcturus Flats. Marking of this area is completed.
· Horseshoe Area, from the west end of Water's Pond the east side of the Horn Island Pier. This area is expected to be completed week of March 31.
· Ranger Lagoon, from 200 yards west side of the Horn Island Pier to the west end of the treeline at Ranger Lagoon. This area is expected to be completed week of March 31.
· Middle Ponds Area. This area is expected to be completed week of April 7th.
· Chimney Area, from the Chimney Site to the west end of the treeline. Posting is completed.
East Ship Island
· East end of the forest line west to the western most break in the trees. To be completed week of April 7th.
West Ship Island
· 300 yards around the Range Tower East of Fort Massachusetts. This area is currently delineated by red wire flags, signs will be installed shortly.
Did You Know?
Because of the tropical-like conditions, the U. S. Army established the Cat Island War Dog Training Camp in south Mississippi during World War II. A variety of dog breeds were trained to guard, deliver messages, and attack the enemy. Cat Island is part of Gulf Islands National Seashore.