Gulf Islands NS conducts in-service training to prepare lifeguards for the summer. Training includes:
- 40-hour National Registry First Responder course. This course covers: roles of the first responder, scene safety, patient assessment, care for medical and trauma patients, CPR, AED, and oxygen administration.
- 40-hour United States Lifesaving Association Open Water class. This course prepares lifeguards for the open water environment.
- 5-hour ATV safety. This meets the requirement of the ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) Safety Institute and prepares lifeguards for ATV operations.
- Daily physical fitness requirements such as run/swim/run.
- Monthly in-service to cover a variety of topics such as search and rescue.