Do Business With Us


Waterfowl Hunting Permit

Special Use Permit Procedures

Special Park Uses

A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and typically provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, or a First Amendment cause, rather than the public at large. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause derogation of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. Primary consideration will be given to potential resource damage and to anticipated disruption of normal public use. The following types of activities are examples of special park uses that may require a permit from the National Seashore:

  • Weddings.
  • Sporting events, festivals, and many other organized gatherings and events.
  • Public assemblies, demonstrations, speechmaking, and distributing printed materials.
  • Religious ceremonies.
  • Commercial filming/photography projects involving models, actors, or props.
  • Many commercial business activities.
  • Research activities (see special section below).
  • Scattering cremated ashes (see special section below).

The following general conditions apply for all permits:

  • Access for other park visitors must not be impeded.
  • Park entrance fees apply to all vehicles associated with the permitted event or activity.
  • Available parking is limited, often crowded and not guaranteed.
  • Depending on location and time of day, request may be denied during periods of heavy use (such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, or weekends).
  • Events must not impact park resources or impede a positive visitor experience for others.
  • Use of decorations, music, and equipment must be specifically discussed with park staff and approved by permit.
  • The permit holder is required to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations, and codes.

Please download Activities That Require a Special Use Permit and an Additional Permit Provisions Brochure.

For additional information on Commercial filming/still photography, business activities (Commercial Use Authorizations), Special Use Authorizations or Hunting Permits in the park, please contact Sherrill Gray by telephone at (850) 934-2605 or email to e-mail us.

Applications can be found here by clicking Commercial Filming Application, Commercial Use Authorization Application, or a Special Use Permit Application for the Florida or Mississippi Districts. Complete a hard copy application and forward it onto Sherrill Gray, Gulf Islands National Seashore, 1801 Gulf Breeze Pkwy., Gulf Breeze, Florida 32563.

Research Permits

NPS Scientific Research and Collecting Permit

The National Park Service has a long history of encouraging educational discovery and scientific research in parks. Research and collection activities within Gulf Islands National Seashore are managed to prevent damage to the resources, to coordinate research activities, and to assist in the application of science to the management of the Seashore. For these reasons, a National Park Service permit is required for any collecting or research activity conducted within the Seashore. Permits may only be issued to official representatives of a reputable scientific or educational institution or a federal, tribal, or state agency to conduct scientific research activities. Persons interested in collecting or conducting research must make application to the National Park Service. Applications may be obtained from and submitted to the specific park of interest or online at:

Scattering Cremated Remains

With limitations, the National Park Service normally grants permission to those wishing to scatter cremated remains within the borders of Gulf Islands National Seashore. To receive permission, please submit a Special Use Permit application as indicated above. With a Special Use Permit, you will be permitted to scatter cremated remains with the following general conditions:

  • Federal regulations (40 CFR 229.1) prohibit the scattering of cremated remains in ocean waters within three miles of land and the Clean Water Act regulates the activity on inland waterways. As such, cremains must be scattered at least 100 feet away from any inland or coastal water course, including ponds, streams, marshes, and tidal waters.
  • No teeth, bone fragments, or other remnants recognizable as human remains may be scattered.
  • Cremains may not be scattered in any developed areas such as roads, parking areas, trails, forts, campgrounds, maintained grounds, etc. They are to be scattered at least 100 feet from these areas.
  • Cremains must be spread over an area large enough that no single portion is accumulated in one place.
  • No markers of any kind may be left to commemorate the event.

Did You Know?