Things To Know Before You Come
Operating Hours & Seasons
Battlefield Visitor Center
The Battlefield Visitor Center is open 8:30 am-5:00 pm, 7 days per week Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend.
The Battlefield Visitor Center will be open 8:30 am-5:00 pm Tuesday-Saturday at all other times during the year. The facility will be closed on all federal holidays with the exception of Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veterans' Day.
Weather and Climate
Beware of ticks during the warmer months! Stay on park trails; avoid woods and tall grass. Snakes live in the park, too.
Visitors can also drive the 2 1/4-mile self-guiding automobile tour. An in-car narrated CD tour of the park (allow 2 hrs.) is available for sale in the bookstore.
Twenty-eight monuments within the park honor Revolutionary soldiers, statesmen, heroes, and heroines. William Hooper and John Penn, two of North Carolina's three signers of the Declaration of Independence, are buried under the Signers' Monument. A large equestrian statue of General Nathanael Greene dominates the monument honoring the soldiers of the Southern Army and its leader. Visit our park monuments page to learn more about the monuments and graves at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.
Any group visit needs to be arranged with the park staff at least two weeks prior to the intended date (the schedule is busiest during the spring and fall). Teachers will find the park an interesting extension of their classroom, whether it is for history (the battlefield), science (nature), or art (monuments).
The anniversary of the battle is March 15 and is annually observed on that day or the weekend closest. Special interpretive programs are scheduled on Memorial Day, Independence Day, and at other times during the year (such special programs are listed on this website under SPECIAL EVENTS).
Did You Know?
The third of North Carolina's signers of the Declaration of Independence, Joseph Hewes, died in Philadelphia in 1779 and was buried in Christ’s Church Yard. In the 1890’s when his remains were being sought, the park’s founders were told the actual site of his grave was unmarked.