Bears are active in Grand Teton
Black and grizzly bears are roaming throughout the park--near roads, trails and in backcountry areas. Hikers and backcountry users are advised to travel in groups of three or more, make noise and carry bear spray. Visitors must stay 100 yards from bears. More »
Moose-Wilson Road Closure
The Moose-Wilson Road between Death Canyon Junction north to the intersection with the Murie Center Road is temporarily closed to motor vehicles, bicycles, skating, skateboards and similar devices. For current road conditions call 307-739-3682. More »
Multi-use Pathway Closures
Intermittent closures of the park Multi-use Pathway System will occur through mid-October during asphalt sealing and safety improvement work. Pathway sections will reopen as work is completed. Follow the link for a map and more information. More »
Second Annual Plein Air for the Park Event a Resounding Success
Contact: Public Affairs Office, 307.739.3393
Grand Teton National Park recently served as the host site and paramount inspiration for the 2nd annual Plein Air for the Park fine art exhibition and sale. Jointly organized and co-hosted by the Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters (RMPAP) and Grand Teton Association (GTA), this year's paint-out and show enticed over 40 professional artists from around the country to spend two weeks in July capturing on canvas the spectacular scenery, wildlife and wildflowers of the Teton landscape. The event brought 30% more in sales over the maiden Plein Air for the Park event of 2012.
Plein Air for the Park 2013 included several elements: educational sessions, artist demonstrations, preview of new art, a gala reception, and a quick draw. The first educational session kicked off July 13 with a three-hour "Artists in the Environment" art demonstration at the Oxbow Bend of the Snake River. This session featured Kathryn Mapes-Turner, Jeanne Mackenzie, and Stephen C. Datz. An additional 15 artist demos were offered throughout the park during the following week. A preview of new works from show artists went on display at the Craig Thomas Discovery and Visitor Center on July 15. The fine art exhibition opened with a reception Thursday evening, July 18, at the Discovery Center with all event artists in attendance. A quick draw at historic Menor's Ferry along the Snake River served as the finalé event on Saturday morning, July 20.
Grand Teton National Park Superintendent Mary Gibson Scott, GTA Executive Director Jan Lynch, and RMPAP President Stephen C. Datz welcomed a standing-room-only crowd to the artist's reception at the Discovery Center on July 18. This gala launched a weekend of art sales that totaled about $63,000, and raised nearly $25,000 (40% of the sales) for the GTA's educational, interpretive, and research programs that support the park. Established in 1937 as cooperating association for Grand Teton, GTA has been an essential non-profit partner for 76 years.
"This show turned out even better than last year," said Jan Lynch, GTA executive director. "There were so many great paintings, it was a real challenge to choose our purchase award recipients." RMPAP President Stephen C. Datz added, "The artists really brought their 'A game' this year and the quality of their work was tremendous. It was gratifying to see such an enthusiastic effort rewarded by a keen interest and strong sales."
Greg McHuron, who was a longtime RMPAP member, passed away shortly after the 2012 Plein Air for the Park. McHuron was honored at the show with a memorial wall that featured three of his plein air paintings. An award in his honor, the Greg McHuron Memorial Award, was established to recognize a piece of work that best represented McHuron's ideals and reflected those elements of plein air art that he felt were most important.
The awards judge for the fine art exhibition was Chris Moran, proprietor of Christopher J. Moran Fine Art Appraisals and former administrator of the Arts for the Parks contest and show. After completing the judging, Chris commented, "This was a very tough show to judge because there is so much outstanding work, I felt honored to be here."
Awards presented for the 2013 Plein Air for the Park include:
The following works will become part of Grand Teton National Park's permanent collection:
In summing up the 2nd annual Plein Air for the Park event, Superintendent Mary Gibson Scott said, "For centuries artists have shared their passion for, and impressions of, this Teton landscape. We are able to support that tradition through the works of today's artists and events such as this organized by the Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters and our very own Grand Teton Association. We are grateful to share the artistic expressions of these plein air painters with our park visitors and local residents and provide a unique, but historic, dimension to the value of this national park."
GTA operates bookstores at visitor centers in support of the missions of Grand Teton National Park and the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Memorial Parkway and other partners such as the National Elk Refuge and surrounding national forests. The GTA provides critical funding through the sale of educational and interpretive materials, and supports interpretive, educational, and research programs at Grand Teton and across the Greater Yellowstone Area.
The Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters (RMPAP) is a group of professional artists who shares a love of painting from life. The RMPAP organization encourages and promotes plein air painting within the Rocky Mountain region as a unique form of artistic expression. The RMPAP works to bring artists and art appreciators together in a creative atmosphere with an emphasis on the fellowship of professional artists. Members are encouraged to share ideas, enthusiasm, and knowledge with one another and others. The group's membership has grown steadily through its 12 year history and now includes 50 professional artists from all over North America. Currently, membership is by invitation only. For more information, visit www.rmpap.org.
Did You Know?
Did you know that Grand Teton National Park was established in both 1929 and 1950? The original 1929 park protected the mountain peaks and the lakes near the base. The boundaries were later expanded in 1950 to include much of the adjacent valley floor.