A Future Professor of Surgery and Anatomy Attends Academies at Hawkwood and Eastern View, 1870s (Connections within Green Springs)
[Lyon Gardiner Tyler, ed., Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography 4 (New York, 1915), p. 55:]
Dr. James William Henson, only child ofWilliam Henry and Marie Antoinette (Hoge) Henson…. was reared to youthful manhood at the home of his parents, near Poindexter, Louisa county. He was educated at public and private schools near home until he was thirteen years of age, then attended Green Spring Academy, Dr. C. R. Dickinson and son teachers, then attended Hawkwood Academy, both in Louisa County…. he has been intimately connected with both medical colleges of Richmond. He was elected adjunct professor in the Medical College of Virginia, seven or eight months after graduation…. After the establishment of the University College of Medicine, he was elected assistant demonstrator of anatomy…then was chosen professor of anatomy…. then for one year was professor of anatomy and genito-urinary diseases. He was then elected to the chair of surgical anatomy…. After the reorganization of the institution he was elected to the chair of principles of surgery and when the University College of medicine was consolidated with the Medical College of Virginia, he was elected associate professor of surgery, which chair he now fills.
Did You Know?
Green Springs National Historic Landmark District is privately owned, includes no public facilities, but is visible from public highways. It sits astride Route 15 in Louisa County, Virginia.