• St. John's Chapel, Green Springs

    Green Springs

    Virginia

Berea Church Contributes to Colportage in the Confederate Army, 1860's

[John William Jones, Christ in the Camp: Or, Religion in Lee's Army (Richmond,1887), p. 194:]

[Themes: religion; Civil War—civilian roles; social/group/neighborhood identity and action]

“The amount contributed during July and August for Sunday-school and Publication Board will not fall short of twenty thousand dollars. Never have the churches responded more liberally…. Berea Church, in Louisa county,instead of giving us about $100 as formerly, has already raided in the neighborhood of $1,000 as its contribution for this year [1863 or 1864]. The churches of the James River Association sent up to their annual meeting an average of more than $200 apiece…. ”

–A. E. D. [Reverend A. E. Dickinson, superintendent of colportage—distribution of religious literature—among Confederate soldiers for the Sunday-School and Publication Board, General Association of the Baptist Churches in Virginia]

Did You Know?

Flower

Green Springs National Historic Landmark District is privately owned, includes no public facilities, but is visible from public highways. It sits astride Route 15 in Louisa County, Virginia.