Soils Monitoring - Middle School
- Grade Level:
- Sixth Grade-Eighth Grade
OverviewDuring this unit, students will explore the vocabulary and techniques used by professional agronomists to examine soil properties to determine soil health in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Students will test for pH, soil moisture, temperature and other characteristics.
1) become familiar with the vocabulary associated with the soil lesson
2) become familiar with the instructions and wording of the ranger-led Soil Survey worksheets
3) learn about biodiversity and soil geology through short video podcasts
4) understand why it is important to study soil health
5) explain two aspects of soil that are studied by professionals.