Tree Phenology Monitoring (High School)
- Grade Level:
- Ninth Grade-College Undergraduate Level
- phenology monitoring, scientific method, climate change effects, data analysis, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, long-term monitoring
OverviewGreat Smoky Mountains National Park is using phenology, the study of biological events that change in response to their environment, to investigate the changing climate. This unit is broken into three parts. The overall unit involves a trip to the park and is accompanied by two preparation activities and two wrap-up activities.
1) Describe the difference between climate and weather
2) Improve understanding of phenology
3) Graph data sets and interpret graphs