lichens, bioindicator, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, acid deposition, monitoring
In this lesson students will better understand different lichen growth forms, their unique symbiotic relationship, and their use as bioindicators. This unit is broken into three parts. This unit involves a trip to the park, a preparation activity and a wrap-up activity.
1) be introduced to vocabulary and definitions relating to lichens
2) gain an overall view of the importance of lichens
3) be introduced to the three main lichen growth forms
4) explain how lichens are sensitive to air pollution
5) describe why certain species of lichens are more sensitive to air pollution than others
6) understand the role of lichens in the biodiversity of Great Smoky Mountains National Park