On Top of Old Smoky: Field Trip Post-Site Part 3 - Grade 5 (North Carolina)
- Grade Level:
- Fourth Grade-Sixth Grade
- Climate, Earth Science, Geography, Meteorology
- 30 minutes
- Group Size:
- Up to 60
- National/State Standards:
- park ranger, web ranger, Junior Ranger, national park service
OverviewGreat Smoky Mountains National Park is an excellent backdrop for students as they explore the natural world. This unit is broken into three parts. The overall unit involves a trip to the park and is accompanied by three preparation activities and three wrap-up activities. This is part 3 of the wrap-up activities of the unit.
1) List three features of Great Smoky Mountains National Park that make it special.
2) Name several other national parks in their home state.
3) Name ten national parks across the country.
4) Be able to explain who owns all national parks.
5) Earn their online web ranger certification.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is an excellent backdrop for students as they explore the natural world. The program is designed to introduce students to the interdependence between the climate and the biodiversity at Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Additionally, students will gain knowledge of how human activities can adversely affect the biodiversity within the park.
Teachers coming on the accompanying field trip should download our complete field trip packet that includes all of the lessons: On Top of Old Smoky pre-site lessons, information and directions about the field trip and On Top of Old Smoky Wrap-up post site lessons.
Download the full On Top of Old Smoky Field Trip packet (includes Preparation and Wrap-up lessons).
This lesson includes instructions on how to become a Web Ranger and a Pre and Post Site Test.
Have the students learn how to become a web ranger for the National Park Service, students go to: www.nps.gov/webrangers.
Administer a pre and post site test that is inlcuded in the unit.
Becoming a junior ranger is a wonderful way to get involved with the park and help protect all the amazing resources of the park.