A September shower approaches the Great Hall.
NPS Photo / Mike Plummer-Steen
- Important phone numbers to know while visiting
- Emergency 911
- Park Information 218-475-0123
- Please Avoid These Hazards:
- Historic buildings and depot area have uneven walking surfaces, wear sturdy shoes.
- Sidewalks and parking lot can be slippery when wet or ice covered.
- Grand Portage footpath is rocky, with tree root hazards and can be muddy in many places.
- Hiking boots are recommended
- The footpath does have different species of biting flies. They thrive clean water and become abundant swirling pests during days with high temperature and humidity. We recommend you carry protection in the form of repellent or barriers such as thick clothing in layers and/or head nets.
- Please Avoid These Situations
- Your visit may be spoiled if you violate park rules. Law enforcement rangers enforce park regulations to protect you and the park. Please help keep our contacts with you pleasant by paying special attention to park regulations and avoiding these problems:
- Parking your vehicle along County Road 17 (Mile Creek Road) instead of in the parking lot at the Heritage Center (This may pose a danger to those in your vehicle and your vehicle itself by closely passing motorists.
- Pets off leash or in not-permitted areas such as inside the historic site stockade
- No camping in the picnic area
- Removal or possession of natural (flowers, rocks, minerals, wood etc.) or cultural features (artifacts)
- Throwing rocks or other objects while on the Mount Rose Trail (posses a real danger to vehicles and people below Mount Rose)
- Mooring your boat at the dock overnight
- Littering including pet waste
- Speeding (Posted speed limit is 30 MPH on all roads in the community. Posted speed limit on MN State Highway 61 is 55 MPH)
- Driving while intoxicated
- A new law regarding firearms in National Parks is in effect. Please see the Grand Portage Laws and Policies page for more information.