Here are some travel tips and information for getting to the park.
- On nice weekend days during the spring, summer, and fall, arriving before noon will help you to avoid the lines to get into the park.
- Because of heavy traffic in this area, giving yourself extra time to get to the park, especially if you are meeting people, is highly recommended.
- The times of heaviest traffic in the D.C. area are from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. on weekdays. On weekends, it can vary.
- Be aware that I-66 inside the beltway is HOV-2 (high-occupancy vehicle, two or more passengers) from 6:30 to 9 a.m. going East and from 4 to 6:30 p.m. going West, Monday through Friday. You must have two or more people in your vehicle in order to drive on I-66 during those hours. Outside the beltway, there is a restricted HOV lane.
- Other HOV information can be found on the Virginia Department of Transportation website.