Snake Creek Road and Campsites Closed
The Snake Creek Road will be closed from the park boundary into the park to begin work on campsites, trails and restroom improvements. Work will continue until snow closes the project. Work will resume in Spring 2015.
Astronomy Programs to Resume August 23rd
After a safety review Astronmy Programs will begin again on a trial basis on August 23rd. More »
Road Work at Great Basin National Park
Beginning July 8, 2014 and continuing through the end of August there will be road work at Great Basin National Park on paved roads throughout the park. Delays of 10 minutes or less may occur. Updated 8/12/2014 More »
Multiple Days: 06/12/2014, 07/12/2014, 08/10/2014, 09/08/2014Location: Tickets at the Lehman Caves Visitor Center Fee Information: FREE Contact Name: Great Basin Astronomy Contact Email: e-mail us Contact Phone Number: 775-234-7513
A limit of 40 people are permitted on these popular guided hikes and they are first come, first served (no reservations). Free tickets are available the day of the hike at the Lehman Caves Visitor Center.Although we keep the location of the full moon hike secret until you pick up your tickets, expect an easy to moderate two-mile hike above 10,000 feet. Rules are strictly enforced and you will not be permitted to hike.
Full Moon Hike Rules
- All participants must have a Full Moon Hike ticket.
- Ages 8 and up.
- We suggest wearing hiking boots or ankle supporting shoes.
- We will be stopping at times so please bring warm clothes, preferably layers, and bring water and a snack.
- You can bring a flashlight or a headlamp but their use will not be permitted on the trail except with the ranger's permission.
- No flash photography.
- Ranger can cancel the hike anytime due to trail, weather, or sky conditions.
- Ranger can disqualify anyone from hiking for any reason.