Temporary Closure of Waters Around Alcatraz Island
From 7/3 to 9/22 a 500’ marine buffer zone is in effect, closing the perimeter of Alcatraz Island to all private vessels to protect nesting seabirds during America's Cup racing. Tours to Alcatraz continue as usual during the races. More »
Muir Beach (but not nearby Muir Woods) closed July 8-November 2013, but local businesses are open
Though Muir Beach is closed from July 8-November 2013 due to construction, the PELICAN INN IS OPEN. Restrooms and parking are not available at Muir Beach. Pacific Way is closed except to residents. Check back for updates or call (415)561-3054. More »
CAUTION: Post Storm Damage to Coastal Trail
The Presidio Coastal Trail segment just north of the Pacific Overlook and adjacent to Lincoln Blvd remains CLOSED indefinitely. We have posted signage to alert bicyclists and hikers and with information for safe trail alternatives. More »
Answers - Living With Trash
1. Banana peel will take letter C, "3 to 5 weeks to decompose."
2. Cigarette butt will take letter B, "10 years to decompose."
3. Aluminum can will take letter A, "100 years to decompose."
4. Plastic six-pack holder will take letter C, "450 years to decompose."
5. Glass bottles will take letter C, "Forever to decompose."
Did You Know?
Seabirds such as gulls, cormorants, and other seabirds can drink salt water? Excess salt is then excreted through a “salt gland” located near their eyes.