Tunnel to Marin Headlands Closed
The tunnel on Bunker Road from Alexander Avenue in Sausalito towards the Marin Headlands is closed for construction. Please follow the detour signs to Conzelman Road (just above the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge) to go up over the hill. More »
Muir Beach (but not nearby Muir Woods) parking lot closed June-November 2013
Muir Beach parking lot will be closed from June-November 2013 due to construction. Restrooms or nearby parking will not be available at Muir Beach during this period. Pacific Way is closed except to residents. Check back for updates or call (415)561-3054 More »
CAUTION: Post Storm Damage to Coastal Trail
The Presidio Coastal Trail segment just north of the Pacific Overlook and adjacent to Lincoln Blvd remains CLOSED indefinitely. We have posted signage to alert bicyclists and hikers and with information for safe trail alternatives. More »
The Presidio Army Museum Exhibit - Origins
Golden Gate NRA, Park Archives, TASC negative colleciton, GOGA 35301.1282
Fort Point and Army Museum Association
In 1959, Major Herbert Batz, U.S. Retired; John J. Gould, a civil engineer; Edward D. Page, an architect; and Myron B. Goldsmith, U.S. Retired, began the Fort Point Museum Association (now the Presidio Historical Association) and began preservation efforts at Fort Point. The U.S. Army gave the group permission to clean the fort, establish a small museum, and conduct guided weekend tours. During the 1960s, the Association became the repository for collections donated to or purchased by the 6th U.S. Army and was permitted to collect artifacts relevant to the Presidio, creating a post museum outside of the Army museum system. Initially, the Association rented and rehabilitated Fort Point from the U.S. Army as its primary museum location.In 1970, Congress passed a bill which declared Fort Point a National Historic Site. Then, in 1971, the Army transferred Fort Point to the National Park Service (NPS) at which time the Association worked with the NPS on restoration and preservation efforts.
Golden Gate NRA, Park Archives, TASC Negative Collection, GOGA 35301-1283
Presidio Army Museum
In the 1970s, the U.S. Army approached the Fort Point Museum Association to develop a museum within the system already established by the U.S. Army's Center of Military History. The Presidio of San Francisco's Building 2, the Old Army Hospital building, was selected for the museum site.
The Association rehabilitated the building for museum use and relocated part of its existing artifact collections from Fort Point to begin the army museum collection. The Presidio Army Museum (PAM) was officially established on July 4, 1973. The museum was staffed by Association employees and volunteers with John P. Langellier as the museum Curator and Sergeant Robert Smith as Assistant Curator. Then, the Association renamed itself the Fort Point and Army Museum Association to reflect this joint relationship. The museum's administrative and storage facilities were located in the brick basement of the museum building and exhibitions were installed on the main floor.
Did You Know?
Geologists sometimes call Franciscan pillow basalt “greenstone” because it contains green minerals formed in an interaction between the basalt and hot, mineral-rich seawater.