Fort Winfield Scott
Fort Winfield Scott was established in the western part of the Presidio of San Francisco as a separate coast artillery post on June 19th, 1912. It served as a coast artillery garrison and as the headquarters of the Artillery District of San Francisco. Fort Scott also housed 17 Endicott-era gun batteries that were constructed, armed, and manned at varying levels between 1891 until 1946.
In 1922 Fort Scott was designated headquarters of the Coast Defenses of San Francisco; that term was changed to Harbor Defenses San Francisco (HDSF) in 1925. As the HDSF headquarters, it controlled most other army forts in the Bay Area, included Forts Baker, Barry, Cronkhite, Miley and Funston. Only the Presidio of San Francisco and Fort Mason did come under Fort Scott’s command, although they contained some coastal artillery and other ancillary facilities.
Origin of the name
The fort's name honors General Winfield Scott, who was a hero of the Mexican War and the commander the Union Army at the beginning of the Civil War. In 1882, the fort now known as Fort Point was given the name “Fort Winfield Scott” by Army Headquarters. That fort officially retained the name until 1886, when the fort was downgraded to a sub-post of the Presidio of San Francisco. The name was then used once again for the new coast artillery post established in 1912.
Did You Know?
Megafossils (fossils that can be observed with the unaided eye) are rare in Franciscan Complex rocks, but the rocks of “The Rock,” Alcatraz, have yielded significant examples.