• View of the Golden Gate Bridge, taken from the Marin Headlands, looking towards San Francisco at sunrise.

    Golden Gate

    National Recreation Area California

Finding Aids - Muir Woods

Finding aids contain information on the contents and significance of an archival collection. The finding aid may include descriptive information; repository information; collection history; biographical or historical information on creators of the collection; and in some cases a container or folder list of everything in the collection. The collection is housed at the Park Archives and Records Center and can be viewed during open hours or by appointment. Please visit the Collections page for more information or email us.

 
Mt. Tamalpias & Muir Woods Railway Photograph Album GOGA 4229 (pdf 501K)
One (1) leather bound photograph album containing eighteen (18) black and white photographs. The album was compiled by the Mt. Tamalpais Railway, Southern Pacific Company, and is entitled "Views of Mt. Tamalpais and Muir Woods." The photographs document scenery along the Mount Tamalpais Railway through Mt. Tamalpais and Muir Woods, circa 1913-1930.

Muir Woods Collection GOGA 32470 (pdf 1.02M)
Administrative files, photographs, and maps pertaining to the history of Muir Woods, 1922-1989. There are also accounting books, film reels, and floppy disks. The administrative files contain contracts, building files, newsletters, monthly and annual reports, newspaper clippings, and film permits.

People for a Golden Gate National Recreation Area - PFGGNRA Papers GOGA 35304 (pdf 1.1MB)
This collection is shaped around the work of the ad-hoc committee People for a Golden Gate National Recreation Area (PFGGNRA) from 1970 to 1994. The organization's original goal was to establish the GGNRA, and it continued to oversee the expansion of the park and the implementation of the enabling legislation. These papers were amassed by Amy Meyer, founding member and co-chairman of the committee.

Did You Know?

historic Ocean Beach photo

The Ocean Beach Esplanade and Seawall was built during the period 1916 to 1929. Designed by San Francisco’s Chief Engineer Michael Maurice O'Shaughnessy, the seawall was considered a great engineering feat.