• View of the Golden Gate Bridge, taken from the Marin Headlands, looking towards San Francisco at sunrise.

    Golden Gate

    National Recreation Area California

Cannons of the Spanish Empire, 1628 - 1846

Photo of the San Francisco cannon located at the Presidio

The "San Francisco"

NPS photo

The San Francisco

Cast in 1679 by Cubas Me Fecit in Lima, Peru, this 8 pound cannon was given the name San Francisco and bears the coat of arms of Don Baltasar de la Cueva Henriquez y Saaverdra, 24th Viceroy of Peru. In a 1837 report, the San Francisco was located at the Castillo de San Joaquin, and guarded the entrance to the San Francisco Bay. This cannon was subsequently moved to Sonoma, at the request of the Mexican Governor of Alta California. On July 20, 1846, Capt. Montgomery, commanding the USS Portsmouth, sent a military detachment to retrieve the cannon, and return it to San Francisco. This cannon is currently located near the flag pole at the main post of the Presidio.

 
Photo of the San Domingo cannon located at the Presidio

The "San Domingo"

NPS photo

The San Domingo

The cannon San Domingo was cast in 1628, and bears the coat of arms of Don Diego Fernandez de Cordoba, 17th Viceroy of Peru. This cannon was cast in Lima, Peru, after enough copper was obtained from Chile.The San Domingo was one of the cannons that was successfully re-vented, after being spiked during the Bear Flag Revolt. The cannon is currently located outside of Building 2; the former Post Hospital and Presidio Army Museum.

 
Photo of the San Pedro cannon located at the Presidio.

The "San Pedro"

NPS photo

The San Pedro

The San Pedro is an 8 pound cannon, cast in Lima, Peru, during 1673. It was brought to San Francisco from the Spanish ordinance depot in San Blas, Mexico. The San Pedro was located at the Castillo de San Joaquin, and guarded the entrance to the San Francisco Bay. This cannon was "spiked" by Fremont's Bear Flag Revolt in 1846. The remains of the file that disabled the cannon can still be seen in the touch-hole. This cannon is currently located outside of the Officers Club, Building 50, at the Presidio.

 
Photo of the Birgen de Barbaneda cannon, located at the Presidio.

The "Birgen de Barbaneda"

NPS photo

The Birgen de Barbaneda

The Birgen de Barbaneda, or Virgin of Barbaneda in English, was cast in 1693, in Lima, Peru and bears the coat of arms of Don Melchor Puertocarrero Laso de la Vega, 27th Viceroy of Peru. It was brought to the Castillo de San Joaquin in 1793, to fortify the San Francisco Bay. In 1846, the cannon was "spiked" by Fremont's men, during the Bear Flag Revolt. Later that year, Captain John B. Montgomery of the USS Portsmouth successfully re-vented the cannon, effectively restoring its firing capabilities.This cannon is currently located near the flag pole in Pershing Square at the Main Post of the Presidio.

 
Photo of San Martin cannon, located at Fort Point.

The "San Martin"

NPS photo

The San Martin

The San Martin bears the coat of arms from Don Meleher de Navarra y Rocafal, 26th Viceroy of Peru. This 12-Pounder brass cannon was cast in Lima, Peru, during 1684. On July 12, 1846, Captain John B. Montgomery uncovered the San Martin, which had been buried, as a result of neglect, in the sand at the Presidio. This cannon is currently located at Fort Point National Historic Site, at the Presidio.

 
Photo of the Poder cannon

The "Poder"

NPS photo

The Poder

The Poder is an 8 pound cannon, cast in Peru during 1673. It was located at the Castillo de San Joaquin, and guarded the entrance to the San Francisco Bay. This cannon was subsequently moved to Sonoma, at the request of the Mexican Governor of Alta California. On July 20, 1846, Capt. Montgomery, commanding the USS Portsmouth, sent a military detachment to retrieve the cannon, and return it to San Francisco. This cannon is currently located outside of the Officers Club, Building 50, at the Presidio.

Did You Know?