Zebra Mussel Interdiction Hours for Winter 2010-2011
Effective November 1, 2010, the National Park Service will implement winter season hours of operation for mandatory mussel interdiction services at Lake Powell. These temporary changes to mussel services are being made to accommodate the seasonal reductions in visitation and park staffing.
Winter season zebra mussel service hours are as follows:
· NPS Mussel Rangers will be on duty 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST) daily for boat inspection and decontamination at Wahweap and Bullfrog. Boat launching will be authorized at the Wahweap Main Launch Ramp and Bullfrog Marina Launch Ramp during these hours. Launch ramps will be closed outside the 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. hours of operation.
· The Stateline Launch Ramp will be closed for the winter season, effective November 1.
· The launching of any motorized watercraft will be prohibited at Lone Rock Beach and Stanton Creek Beach, effective November 1.
· Effective October 15, the public launch ramp at Antelope will be closed to all boat launching. Antelope Point Marina will maintain fee-service valet launching at their ramp daily throughout the winter season for a charge of five dollars.
· Individuals wishing to launch at Halls Crossing or Hite must be self-certified. On-call boat inspectors will be available. Effective November 1, the Halls Crossing Launch Ramp will be closed from 5:00 p.m. to 7 a.m.
The reduced hours of operation and the temporary closure of some public launch ramps will allow the National Park Service to maintain critical zebra mussel prevention efforts over the winter months. Staffing levels traditionally decline during these months. The NPS will be able to maintain a pro-active zebra mussel prevention program by focusing available staff on a reduced number of launching points during winter daylight hours.
These winter season hours of operation are in effect through spring 2011.