Glacier National Park's 2006 Campground Dates Announced
Contact: Melissa Wilson, 406-888-7895
WEST GLACIER, MONT. – Glacier National Park’s 2006 campground opening/closing dates and nightly fee schedule was released today. Visitors are reminded that respective campgrounds open at 8 a.m. and close/change status at 12 noon on dates listed. Consult the chart below for the nightly fee for each campground. Several campgrounds will be open additional dates in primitive (no potable water) or winter status, and Fish Creek and St. Mary offer advance reservations; see notes.
Campground: Opening Date to Closing Date, Nightly Fee Apgar: May 5 to October 16, $15 Avalanche: June 9 to September 5, $15 Bowman Lake: May 26 to September 15, $12 Cutbank*: May 26 to September 25, $6 Fish Creek: June 1 to September 5, $17 Kintla Lake: May 26 to September 15, $12 Logging Creek*: July 1 to December 1, $6 Many Glacier: May 26 to September 25, $15 Quartz Creek*: July 1 to December 1, $6 Rising Sun: May 26 to September 18, $15 Sprague Creek: May 12 to September 18, $15 St. Mary: May 26 to September 26, $17 Two Medicine: May 26 to September 18, $15
* - Cutbank, Logging Creek and Quartz Creek Campgrounds will only offer primitive camping in 2006. Logging and Quartz Creek Campgrounds will continue to offer primitive camping through December 1, unless closed earlier by weather.
- Logging Creek is scheduled to open on July 1. However, hazard trees in the campground need to be removed before the park can open the campground. If the removal has not been completed by July 1, the opening will be postponed.
-After the listed closing dates, Many Glacier and Two Medicine Campgrounds will offer primitive camping until closed by weather.
-Bowman Lake and Kintla Lake Campgrounds may open earlier for primitive camping if road conditions permit. They will close on December 1, unless closed earlier by weather. - Apgar will be open for primitive camping April 1 through May 4, and from October 16 through November 30.
-Fish Creek and St. Mary Campgrounds offer advance campground reservations as part of the National Park Reservation Service. This service allows reservations for nightly stays from June 1 through September 4. Call 1-800-365-CAMP, or online visit http://reservations.nps.gov/. Campers without prior reservations are also welcome.
- St. Mary Campground will be open for primitive camping April 1 through May 25, and from September 26 through November 30. The campground is also open as a full service campground without reservations from May 26 through May 30 and again from September 5 through September 25.
- Winter camping is available at Apgar and St. Mary campground December 1, 2006 through March 31, 2007.
- Primitive camping cost $6/night. There is no fee for winter camping.
Glacier’s campground status Web site (http://www.nps.gov/applications/glac/cgstatus/cgstatus.cfm) contains each campground’s status and the fill times for the current and previous days. Additionally, visitors can click on the individual campgrounds for background about these sites. Historic fill times, for the past five years, are also available. Group campsites are available at Apgar, Many Glacier, Two Medicine and St. Mary Campgrounds. Hiker/bicyclist sites are available at Apgar, Avalanche, Fish Creek, Many Glacier, Rising Sun, Sprague Creek, St. Mary, and Two Medicine Campgrounds. Nightly fees for group and hiker/biker sites are $5 per person. Visitors are reminded that new entrance fees are in place for 2006. Winter fees remain in effect until April 30. Beginning May 1, the seven-day single vehicle entrance fee is $25 and a seven-day single entrance (walker, biker, or motorcyclist) is $12. Even when the entrance stations are not staffed, an entrance fee is still required. Follow the posted instructions to pay the entrance fee at the self-payment boxes at each entrance station.
For additional park information, please visit Glacier National Park’s Web site (www.nps.gov/glac) or call park headquarters at 406-888-7800.