Interagency Trail Data Standards (ITDS) T1 Team Meeting
Telecon - 04-12-2005
ITDS Meeting Notes
ITDS GIS Task 1: Complete Definition of ITDS for Tabular and Spatial Implementation
ITDS / GIS Task 1 Team (T1 Team)
Team members present for 4/12/2005 call noted in blue
Next ITDS Team #1 Conference Call:
Follow-Up Items from 4/12/05 and Previous Concalls:
1. Next Call: Send out date/time/number for next call (Jaime)
2. Missing Attribute? Add missing attribute identified by Helen & Jaime in Austin 2004 (Jaime by 5/14)
3. Congressional District: Need copy of Congressional District LOV.s from each agency, send to Dave Duran (FS-Ethan; NPS-David; BLM-Bill/Tom; FWS-Deb). As of 4/12: Dave will check status and let reps know what.s still needed.
4. County: Need to know which agencies use FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standard) codes for county (www.itl.nist.gov/fips/pubs). If your agency uses non-FIPS codes, send codes to Dave Duran. (FS-Ethan; NPS-David; BLM-Bill/Tom; FWS-Deb) As of 4/12: Dave will check status and let reps know what.s still needed.
5. BMP/EMP: Agency reps need to verify with agency data leads that ITDS will be captured by BMP/EMP (Begin Measure Point/ End Measure Point), with recommended unit of measure being miles to the 4th decimal place. [As of 4/12: Per Tom, BLM.s FAMS is using BMP/EMP recorded to 2nd decimal place; Per Dave, NPS.s FMSS will be using BMP/EMP to 5th decimal place; Per Jaime, USFS. Infra is using BMP/EMP to the 4th decimal place; FWS status.Deb?)
6. Crosswalk Translation: Agency reps (all) need to get crosswalk translation for all applicable attributes to Tom Chatfield. Tom hasn't received anything as of 4/12. Reps need to get LOV.s to Tom by 5/14 (FS-Ethan, NPS-Dave (Dick Mayle?), BLM-Tom, FWS-Deb).
7. FWS: Add Sean Furness. FWS edits to ITDS (Jaime). Review ITDS to ensure FWS included in any joint references to USFS, NPS, BLM (and now FWS). (Jaime & Helen) Complete by 5/14.
8. NHT Site Number: Check with ITDS NHT team.are these numbers unique (what.s site numbering structure)? (Jaime) Complete by 5/14.
9. Trail Status & Trail System-- Null / Not Null? Need to verify whether these basic coarse filter attributes (i.e. essential for most queries) should be identified as Not Null. (all) Still pending.Agency reps need to provide input by 5/16.
Pending BIN Items: (updated 4/12/2005)
1. Standardized Use or ArcInfo? Are the ITDS intended for general application or ArcInfo specifically? Consensus is that ITDS are to be generally defined, not platform-specific (i.e. ArcInfo). Consider adding generic ITDS statement about deliverable ITDS products (i.e. recommend most generic deliverable.standardized use of Arc shape files or FGDC Spatial Data Transfer Standard?)
2. Attribute Source (Optional): T1 defined as "The source of the geographic position of the arc."
How do we cover.a separate row or column in ITDS table?
T1 Team: Clarify.Do we .store in English LOV.s. or .leave open for free text.??
3. Null / Not Null: Those data fields that must have a value recorded. In ITDS Data Dictionary, the Not Null requirement was limited to those ITDS attributes required for basic route identification and inventory. (Incorporate in documentation as explanation, or Q&A)
4. Interagency Trail Identifier (Pending)
5. Metadata Attributes: (Pending)
6. Geolocator: (Pending) Need to discuss how this is currently handled within each agency and how it can be resolved at interagency level.
7. NHT Certified Sites & Segments: What.s status of this attribute (was it dropped?) (Jaime)
Update: ITDS Pilot (T2)
Reference / Resolved BIN Items: (updated 4/12/2005)
1. Data Parameter "Type": When defining Type ITDS attributes, keep in mind that ESRI has well-defined list of potential LOVs.
2. Verify LOV Width: Discussed standard use of 40 for LOV width for text values.does this require agencies to tie up a bunch of extra database space? Agreed that if LOV width has already been established and is being implemented by an agency, to stick with that width. If not yet established/implemented, agreed with need to optimize LOV (leaving some flexibility for potentially longer values in the future).
3. Verify Abbreviations: Review final Data Parameters for consistent use of abbreviations (Tom completed-- Jan.)
4. Additional Designed Use & Managed Use LOVs: Helen mentioned comment from Land & Water Conservation Fund Stateside Trail Assistance need to track fitness trails. Would it be appropriate to add additional LOV.s (fitness trails, roller blade, etc). Or could it be handled by adding LOV of .Other.? Tom reminded group that ITDS currently include LOV .Not Specified.. ITDS GIS group agreed to stick with current LOV.s. Other agencies/entities can expand LOV.s to meet their needs.
5. BMP/EMP: How do we cover BMP/EMP in terms of ITDS.a separate row or column in ITDS table?
4/12 Discussion: T1 Team discussed and agreed to cover BMP/EMP in ITDS Business Rules. Add statement that ITDS attributes will be recorded by BMP/EMP in miles to at least 2nd decimal place. (Tom deleted BMP/EMP column from ITDS spreadsheet)
6. Metadata (Common to all data attributes):
T1 Team Consensus:
ITDS Data Parameters DRAFT (updated 12/13/2004)
Generally Applicable Data Parameters
The T1 Team has identified the following data parameters that are generally applicable to all Interagency Trail Data Standards (version 1).
Attribute-Specific Data Parameters
The T1 Team has identified the following variables, which next need to be defined for each applicable ITDS attribute. (T1 Team pending or review items noted in blue.)
Additional Attributes Considered
Below is a listing of the FGDC Attributes considered, and the corresponding ITDS disposition as identified by the T1 Team.
Below is a lis
ting of additional ESRI Profile Attributes considered, and the corresponding ITDS disposition as identified by the T1 Team.