NM Highway 152 Closed
NM Highway 152 between Hillsboro and San Lorenzo is closed due to multiple washouts. Anyone traveling south on Interstate 25 towards the Gila Cliff Dwellings should take NM 26 to Deming as an alternate route.
Thunderstorm Safety Closures Possible
When thunderstorms are nearby, the trail to and from the Gila Cliff Dwellings is closed. Please check local forecasts before you visit. Thunderstorms are typically more likely in the afternoon. On some afternoons it is not possible to reopen. More »
Guided Tours Currently Not Available Every Day
Due to a current shortage of volunteer staffing, guided tours of the cliff are not offered every day. Check at the visitor center upon arrival. Volunteers at the Cliff Dwellings will still be available to answer questions during your self guided tours.
Fees & Reservations
Fees are collected at a self-service pay station at the trailhead. Payment by credit card may be made at the Gila Visitor Center. Payment by exact change or check may be made at the trailhead. Change is only available at the Visitor Center. Credit card payments can only be made at the Visitor Center.
National Park Service Academic Fee Waiver Criteria for Applicants
National Park Service (NPS) regulations allow school groups and other bona fide national and international academic institutions to obtain a waiver for park entrance fees, provided that the visit is for educational or scientific purposes, and the resources or facilities the group proposes to use support those purposes.
Academic fee waivers are not granted automatically. Applicant groups must show they qualify for the waiver. There are three criteria the group must meet to qualify for an academic fee waiver: eligibility, educational purpose, and relevance of park resources or facilities. These criteria are detailed below:
· A statement confirming educational or scientific tax-exemption from the IRS or the applicant's national, state, or local tax authority; or
· A statement, from a bona fide academic institution, confirming that the group is visiting for the purpose of providing transferable educational credit based on a curriculum; or
· A statement of accreditation, or recognition as an academic institution, from a recognized national, regional, state, or local authority at the applicant's location.
How to Apply for an Academic Fee Waiver at a National Park
If you meet the criteria above, please submit the following by mail, e-mail, or fax. Please allow2 weeks for processing.
7. Please provide a copy of the approved fee waiver to the group leader to bring with them when the group visits.
Please be aware…
· Fee waivers are not available at the park.
· Academic fee waivers cannot be granted for hardship factors.
· Service, civic, or fraternal organizations, such as Scouting, Rotary, and Elks, do not quality for an academic fee waiver unless the group meets the criteria above.
· "Blanket" academic fee waivers for all national parks are not issued or accepted. Groups must submit separate requests to individual parks for approval. A list of parks and contact addresses is at www.nps.gov.
If your request is approved, you will receive an academic fee waiver. Your group leader must present a copy of the approved fee waiver at the Gila Cliff Dwellings trailhead.
If your request is denied, you will receive a letter from the park explaining why your group does not qualify. If required material is not submitted, the park will attempt to contact and assist you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Gila Visitor Center at (575) 536-9461.
Did You Know?
Black bears, mountain lions and wolves are the largest predators in the area around the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. There are 107 bird species, 387 plant species, 37 mammal species, and 21 amphibian/reptile species at the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.