Detailed Model of Gettysburg in 1863
Contact: Katie Lawhon, (717) 334-1124, ext. 3121
Gettysburg National Military Park and Main Street Gettysburg have announced that a new, detailed scale model of the town of Gettysburg in November 1863 is now on display at the David Wills House in downtown Gettysburg.
Dr. Bill Aldrich, a Gettysburg resident, researched and created the model as a volunteer for Gettysburg National Military Park. The model covers a 4 block area of Gettysburg, around "the Diamond" bordered on the east by Stratton Street, on the west by Washington Street, on the north by the railroad tracks, and on the south by Middle Street. It took 2000 hours to create, and measures 48 inches by 68.5 inches.
It features 260 buildings - including 109 houses, 77 carriages houses/stables/sheds, 68 outhouses, five burned-out buildings and one church.
A 120’ flag pole marks the Diamond at the center of town. Throughout the model, visitors will see approximately 135 people; 14 carriages and wagons with horses; and 16 horses and people riding horses.
The David Wills House opened in 2009 as an official site within Gettysburg National Military Park, operated through a partnership by Main Street Gettysburg. As a national park site, the museum attracts visitors to downtown and tells the story of the aftermath of the battle, and Lincoln’s visit to give the Gettysburg Address. For information on how to visit go to www.davidwillshouse.org.
Did You Know?
The Eternal Light Peace Memorial at Gettysburg National Military Park, the result of a cooperative effort between veterans of the North and South, was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on July 3, 1938 during the 75th Anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg.