Trail Closure, May 14-17, 2013
The walking trail from Sykes Avenue to the 20th Maine Monument and old Chamberlain Avenue is temporarily closed for repairs and paving. We anticipate it will reopen on Saturday, May 18.
Towers Closed For Inspection
Observation towers in the park will be temporarily closed for inspections on Thursday, May 16. The closures are: Oak Ridge Tower 8 AM-10 AM; Longstreet Tower 10 AM-12 PM; Culp's Hill Tower 12 PM-2 PM
11th Massachusetts Monument Update
Contact: Katie Lawhon, (717) 334-1124, ext. 3251
Gettysburg National Military Park has received the finished carved granite arm for the 11thMassachusetts Infantry monument from Granite Industries of Vermont. This is nearly the final step required before full repairs to the monument that was vandalized seven years ago this month. Final work will entail the installation of the sword and hand guard at the park's monument shop.
Last winter, using a large collection of photos to ensure the correct size and shape, park preservation worker Brian Griffin sculpted the arm out of clay, then made a mold and created a plaster model that was shipped to Vermont for replication in stone.
No specific timeline has been set for returning the feature to the monument on the battlefield but it will be completed this year before Memorial Day. The 4thNew York Artillery (Smith's Battery), the 114thPennsylvania Infantry, and the 11thMassachusetts Infantry monuments were vandalized overnight on February 15-16, 2006. The park has repaired both the 4th NY and the 114th Pennsylvania monuments.
Despite a $30,000 reward for information, no arrests or convictions for the vandalism have been made. The investigation is on going and information or tips regarding this crime can be reported to Gettysburg National Military Park law enforcement at (717) 334-0909.
Did You Know?
The tiny home of widow Lydia Leister was used by Union General George G. Meade for his headquarters during the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863.