Trail Closure, May 14-17, 2013
The walking trail from Sykes Avenue to the 20th Maine Monument and old Chamberlain Avenue is temporarily closed for repairs and paving. We anticipate it will reopen on Saturday, May 18.
Towers Closed For Inspection
Observation towers in the park will be temporarily closed for inspections on Thursday, May 16. The closures are: Oak Ridge Tower 8 AM-10 AM; Longstreet Tower 10 AM-12 PM; Culp's Hill Tower 12 PM-2 PM
THE PARK LIBRARY AND RESEARCH CENTER
The Gettysburg National Military Park Library and Research Center is open to the public by appointment only. For additional information on the library and our holdings, visit the park's Library and Research Center page.
OFFICE OF MUSEUM SERVICES
The Office of Museum Services is responsible for the care and preservation of the park's collection of original historic objects associated with the Battle of Gettysburg and the Soldiers' National Cemetery. These objects, which comprise the park's museum collection, consist of three-dimensional items related to the Civil War, the battle of Gettysburg, and the post-war commemoration of the battle. The Park Archives are also in the Office of Museum Services, composed of original Civil War manuscripts such as diaries, letters, and selected unit records, manuscripts, photos, and maps relative to the development and history of Gettysburg National Military Park. (Most of the Civil War and battle related paper items have been copied for the research collection in the park library.) The Office of Museum Services also has responsibility for the care and maintenance of the exhibits in the Museum and Visitor Center and at the Wills House.
Access to research in the Park Archives or to view items from the collection that are not on display is by appointment only. For further information or to make an appointment, call (717) 334-1124, ext. 1291.
Local Gettysburg and Adams County History
Did You Know?
The Eternal Light Peace Memorial at Gettysburg National Military Park, the result of a cooperative effort between veterans of the North and South, was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on July 3, 1938 during the 75th Anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg.