Free events at Gateway celebrate the National Park Service's 96th birthday
Savor all that Gateway has to offer---even edible plants, like these beach plums at Sandy Hook.
News Release Date:
August 20, 2012
Contact: John Harlan Warren
The National Park Service (NPS) turns 96 years young on Saturday, August 25. National parks across the country will host special programs celebrating the ongoing legacy of the founders of the NPS. Parking fees will be waived at Gateway National Recreation Area for the day.
"The best birthday present you can give the National Park Service is to visit one of your national parks, explore, enjoy and learn something new," said Superintendent Linda Canzanelli. "Those of us who work for the NPS are proud to walk in the bootprints of our founding women and men."
Special Founders Day events include:
- Founders' Day Campfire, Great Kills Park, Staten Island (parking lot G), 7 P.M. Roast marshmallows and listen to live music. For seating, bring a lawnchair or towel.
- 7th annual Shorebird Festival, Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Queens, 8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M. Day-long program includes walks and talks at JBWR by many leading bird experts. Program held with NYC Audubon. For more information, call 718-318-9344 or email email@example.com.
- Hike trails and identify edible plants, Sandy Hook, N.J. (parking lot M), 9-11 A.M. Cost: $5 per person. Bring binoculars, sunscreen, water and comfortable shoes. Call 732-291-0055 for more information.
Saturdays in the summer are usually special at Gateway. Regularly scheduled Saturday events include:
- See the Historic Aircraft Restoration Project (HARP) at Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field. Speak with the volunteers who restore historic aircraft at Hangar B, near the camping areas. Open 9 A.M. to 4 P.M., with tours 2-3 P.M.
- Walk-up and Kayak at Canarsie Pier, Brooklyn and at Riis Landing, Queens, Saturdays from 10 A.M. to 3 P.M. No reservations required!
- Tour Battery Gunnison at Sandy Hook, N.J. with volunteers from the Army Ground Forces Association 1-8 P.M. or walk through Battery Potter 1-4:30 P.M.