Exhibit renovations at Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center
The exhibits and film at Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center are closed due to renovation work. We expect to reopen with new exhibits in the spring of 2014. The bookstore and visitor center at Chancellorsville are open daily.
Old Salem holiday music program canceled for 12/8
The holiday music program at Old Salem Church is canceled for Sunday, Dec. 8, due to inclement weather.
Delayed opening Monday, 12/9, due to inclement weather
Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park will open at 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 9.
Virtual Tour of Wilderness Battlefield
The virtual tour consists of the eight stops on the driving tour of the Wilderness Battlefield, and additional sites, listed according to their relation to the timeline of the campaign. There are also links to learn more about the battle.
* Map of Virtual Tour Stops. Google maps shows the location and gives directions to the virtual tour stops.
* Grant's Headquarters, Tour Stop #1 on park driving tour
* Wilderness Battlefield Exhibit Shelter, Tour Stop #2 on park driving tour
* Saunders Field, Tour Stop #3 on driving park tour
* Higgerson Farm, Tour Stop #4 on park driving tour
* Chewning Farm, Tour Stop #5 on park driving tour
* Tapp Field, Tour Stop #6 on park driving tour
* Longstreet's Wounding, Tour Stop #7 on park driving tour
* Brock Road-Plank Road Intersection, Tour Stop #8 on park driving tour
* Photos of Wilderness Battlefield
* Photos of Wilderness Monuments
* Wilderness Battle-Summary of the battle
Did You Know?
In 2003, a monument to the 7th Michigan Infantry was placed where that unit crossed the Rappahannock River into the streets of Fredericksburg. It was the first Union regiment to cross the river during the Battle of Fredericksburg.The monument is on Sophia Street at the foot of Hawke Street.