• Sunken Road, Stone Wall and Innis House

    Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania

    National Military Park Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Exhibit renovations at Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center

    Exhibits and the film are currently unavailable at the Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center while we prepare the building for new exhibits. The information desk, bookstore, and restrooms are available.

  • Exhibit renovations at Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center

    Exhibits are currently unavailable at the Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center, as we remove old exhibits and prepare the building for new exhibits in June 2014. The information desk, bookstore, and restrooms are available.

Virtual Tour Stop, Todd's Tavern

Sketch of Todd's Tavern
With the Union in possession of the Brock Road/Orange Plank Road intersection, General Grant made the decision to move forward to Spotsylvania Court House. During the night of May 6 both armies began to move toward Spotsylvania. With the Union in possession of the Brock Road, the blue-clad soldiers had a shorter route to Spotsylvania, but the Confederates successfully slowed the Union advance on May 7 at Todd's Tavern. This delaying action allowed the Southern infantry the opportunity to win the race to Spotsylvania.
 
Todd's Tavern
Flavius Ballard purchased Todd's Tavern from the Todd family in 1848. The tavern was 1 1/2 stories and made of wood with flanking chimneys and a front porch. A barn-like structure appears in this photo to the left of the tavern. The tavern served a variety of purposes: residence, tavern, post office, and store. The tavern was destroyed prior to 1884.
 
Exhibits at Todd's Tavern
Todd's Tavern is a stop on the Civil War Trails Lee-Grant driving tour. There is a brochure for a driving tour of the Todd's Tavern action.
 

Did You Know?

7th Michigan Monument at Fredericksburg

In 2003, a monument to the 7th Michigan Infantry was placed where that unit crossed the Rappahannock River into the streets of Fredericksburg. It was the first Union regiment to cross the river during the Battle of Fredericksburg.The monument is on Sophia Street at the foot of Hawke Street.