• Sunken Road, Stone Wall and Innis House

    Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania

    National Military Park Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Exhibit renovations at Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center

    Exhibits and the film are currently unavailable at the Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center while we prepare the building for new exhibits. The information desk, bookstore, and restrooms are available.

  • Exhibit renovations at Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center

    Exhibits are currently unavailable at the Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center, as we remove old exhibits and prepare the building for new exhibits in June 2014. The information desk, bookstore, and restrooms are available.

Virtual Tour Stonewall Jackson Shrine

Guinea Station was a bustling supply base during the winter of 1862-1863. All Confederate supplies came into the station and then dispersed to the camps of the Army of Northern Virginia. All soldiers coming or going from General Robert E. Lee's army passed through Guinea Station. Since the army was not camped in an agriculturally productive area, Lee's army was dependent upon the railroad to bring food to Guinea Station. Therefore, a key part of General Joseph Hooker's plan for the Battle of Chancellorsville directed the cavalry to sever the railroad south of Guinea Station, a task they successfully accomplished. Confederate sick and wounded at Chancellorsville needing hospitalization came to the station unable to be transferred further south until the railroad tracks were repaired on May 4. Visit the Jackson Shrine webpage for more information.
 
"Stonewall" Jackson Shrine
"Stonewall" Jackson was among the thousands of wounded Confederates sent to Guinea Station. Jackson arrived on the evening of May 4, 1863, about 48 hours after being mistakenly wounded by his own men at Chancellorsville. This 1872 photo shows the building where Jackson died. The Chandler family who owned the plantation moved shortly after Jackson died and the buildings and grounds were not kept up. The plantation was well kept when Jackson was there.
 
1911 Photo of Jackson Shrine
This photo was taken about 1911 at a time the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad who owned the land were dismantling the abandoned plantation buildings. However, they wanted to keep standing the building where Jackson died, the structure in the foreground. In the mid-1920's, they opened the building to the public and called it the "Stonewall" Jackson Shrine. In 1937, the railroad sold the property to Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania N.M.P which restored the building to its war-time appearance in the 1960's.
 
Jackson Shrine
Days that the Jackson Shrine is open vary depending on the season of the year. Call the park at (540) 373-6122 to find out if the building is open on the day of your visit. The grounds are open year round during daylight hours. When the building is open, historians are available to lead tours and answer questions. 
 
Jackson Shrine
"Stonewall" Jackson was mistakenly wounded by his own men at Chancellorsville on May 2, 1863. He was moved several miles to the rear to a field hospital where Dr. Hunter H. McGuire saved his life by stopping the bleeding and later that night amputated his left arm. General Robert E. Lee ordered Jackson to be moved to Guinea Station on May 4.
 
Jackson Shrine
It took about twelve hours to travel the twenty-seven miles to the station. With the railroad tracks torn up, Jackson would get some needed rest while they repaired the tracks. Jackson himself choose the Thomas Coleman Chandler Plantation as the family had been very kind to him earlier in the year when camped on their property. When they arrived at the Chandler House, Dr. McGuire went inside and discovered that a patient already in the house had a contagious disease. Dr. McGuire then received the Chandler's permission to use the quiet, restful atmosphere of the plantation office building.
 
Bed
"Stonewall" Jackson arrived on the evening of May 4 in a very weakened and exhausted condition. He was placed on this bed and covered by the blanket folded at the foot of the bed. After two days of rest, Dr. Hunter H. McGuire thought Jackson was on his way to recovery. On the morning of May 7, Dr. McGuire realized his famous patient had pneumonia. Without antibiotics the physicians were helpless. Jackson weakened and died on this bed on May 10, 1863.
 
Clock in room "Stonewall" Jackson died
"Stonewall" Jackson died at 3:15 p.m. on May 10, 1863. The time was noted by Dr. Hunter McGuire by looking at this clock which still sits on the mantel in the room that Jackson died. His final words, "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."
 
Room used by Jackson staff and doctors as a conference room
The physicians and Jackson's staff used an adjacent room as a conference room. Period pieces suggest the presence of medical and military personnel. Prior to the war, the Chandlers used this room to do their bookkeeping.
 
Upstairs bedroom at Jackson Shrine
A room upstairs was used as a bedroom by Jackson's staff. Dr. McGuire slept in this room on the night of May 6.
 
Jackson Shrine and Monument
In 1903 James Power Smith, a member of Jackson's staff present when Jackson died, placed this monument to his fallen chief. It is one of a dozen similar monuments that Smith erected in 1903 to Jackson, Lee and "the gallant" John Pelham.
 
Grant vs. Lee interpretive sign
There is also an exhibit about General Grant moving south through Guinea Station following the Spotsylvania Campaign. On May 21, Grant became perhaps the first tourist to visit the building where Jackson died. Grant and Jackson were West Point graduates and thus members of the fraternity that bound its graduates together.
 
Slocum's Line tour stop

Slocum's Line is tour stop #7 on the battlefield tour.

Continue to Virtual Tour Stop, Slocum's Line

Did You Know?

Chatham Manor Gardens

William Fitzhugh was the grandson of Robert "King" Carter and the grandfather of Mrs. Robert E. Lee. His wife was the second cousin of Thomas Jefferson.