Exhibit renovations at Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center
The exhibits and film at Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center are closed due to renovation work. We expect to reopen with new exhibits in the spring of 2014. The bookstore and visitor center at Chancellorsville are open daily.
Chancellorsville Visitor Center Closed Beginning Dec. 23
The Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center will be closed for renovation work beginning December 23 and lasting for up to 6 weeks. During this time, we strongly recommend that visitors begin at the Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center.
Virtual Tour Stop, Marye's Heights
The Confederate line at Fredericksburg stretched for seven miles on a series of hills and ridges with the left flank secure on the Rappahannock River above Fredericksburg and the right flank anchored on Massaponax Creek. The most famous part of this high ground were two hills, Willis Hill and Marye's Hill, that the soldiers referred to as Marye's Heights.
Did You Know?
Hazel Grove was a plateau of high ground that General Hooker gave up on the early morning of May 3, 1863. Realizing that this ground was the key to winning the battle, the Confederates quickly seized it and concentrated artillery which had an advanteous position to the Union artillery at Fairview.