• Fredericksburg Battlefield: Sunken Road, Stone Wall and Innis House sunrise

    Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania

    National Military Park Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Chatham Exit Road Closed 9/2-9/5

    The Chatham exit road will be closed from September 2-5, 2014 as part of the project to restore the historic viewshed from Chatham Manor. The road will be closed at all times. Please use the Chatham entrance road as a two-way road. More »

Virtual Tour Stop, Lee-Jackson Bivouac

Sketch of Lee-Jackson Meeting
Having seized the initiative, on the night of May 1, 1863, Robert E. Lee and "Stonewall" Jackson met to make plans for the next day. They had 45,000 men to fight Joe Hooker's 90,000 soldiers on this part of the battlefield. Learning that Hooker's right flank was vulnerable, Lee decided to send Jackson with 30,000 men to attack the Union weak spot.
 
Sketch of Lee-Jackson meeting
The meeting lasted much of the night. According to tradition, Lee and Jackson sat on cracker barrels during part of the conference. Afterwards the generals got a brief sleep. The next morning, James Power Smith of Jackson's staff noted that Jackson had a fever.
 
Painting depicting last meeting of Lee and Jackson.
Early on the morning of May 2, Lee and Jackson met for the last time. As Jackson led his men down to Furnace Road, Lee never saw Jackson again. This famous sketch of the last meeting captures the spirit of the moment, but the hills in the background are a figment of the artist's imagination.
 
Late 19th century view of meeting site.
The meeting occurred at the intersection of the Orange Plank and Furnace roads. This late 19th century view is looking across the Plank Road to the meeting site on the right side of the image.
 
Modern view of Lee-Jackson meeting site
This modern photo is taken from almost the same place and angle as the late 19th century image shown above. Interpretive signs explain what happened at the famous meeting.
 
Lee-Jackson Meeting Monument
This is one of ten monuments in the Fredericksburg area erected by James Power Smith in 1903. Smith was a member of Jackson's staff and a son-in-law of the Lacy's who owned two historical plantations in the area, Chatham and Ellwood. Smith served as a Presbyterian minister in Fredericksburg after the war.
 
Maury Birthplace Tour Stop
Continue to Birthplace of Matthew Fontaine Maury, founder of the science of oceanography

Did You Know?

Information desk at Chancellorsville Visitor Center

The Wilderness Battlefield does not have a visitor center. Visitors should begin their visit at the Fredericksburg or Chancellorsville visitor centers where they obtain maps, brochures, and ask questions.