• Fredericksburg Battlefield: Sunken Road, Stone Wall and Innis House sunrise

    Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania

    National Military Park Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Chatham Exit Road Closed 9/2-9/5

    The Chatham exit road will be closed from September 2-5, 2014 as part of the project to restore the historic viewshed from Chatham Manor. The road will be closed at all times. Please use the Chatham entrance road as a two-way road. More »

Virtual Tour Ellwood

Ellwood Sign
The house called Ellwood and grounds are generally open from 11:00-5:00 during the first weekend of May (anniversary of the Battle of Wilderness) and on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from Memorial Day Weekend through the end of October. Call the park at (540) 786-2880 for more information. When the house is not open, visitors can receive a free pass at the Chancellorsville Visitor Center to visit the Ellwood grounds.
 
Ellwood
William Jones built Ellwood in the 1790's. During the Civil War, it was owned by James Horace Lacy and his wife Betty who also owned Chatham, a large plantation house that overlooked the Rappahannock River and city of Fredericksburg. Chatham is a stop on the virtual tour of Fredericksburg.
 
Ellwood
Ellwood played an interesting and important role in the Chancellorsville and Wilderness battles. During the Battle of Chancellorsville, the hospitals for "Stonewall" Jackson's Corps stretched from the Wilderness Tavern several hundred yards south to Ellwood.
 
Ellwood Cemetery, Jackson's arm monument
After "Stonewall" Jackson's arm was amputated in a tent near the Wilderness Tavern, Beverley Tucker Lacy, Chaplain of Jackson's Corps buried the arm in the Lacy family cemetery. In 1903, James Power Smith, a member of Jackson's staff and son-in-law of the Lacys, placed a monument in the cemetery.
 
Ellwood Entrance Hallway
Entrance hall way at Ellwood before restoration
Photo by Al Zirkle
 
Ellwood entrance hallway after restoration
Entrance hallway at Ellwood after restoration
Photo by Al Zirkle
 
 
Warren room after restoration
General Gouverneur Warren, commander of the Union Fifth Corps, used Ellwood as his headquarters during the Battle of the Wilderness, focusing most of his operations in this room. Generals Grant and Meade also attended a meeting in the house. This image was taken before restoration.
Photo by Al Zirkle
 
Restored Warren room at Ellwood
Restored Warren room at Ellwood largely based upon a detailed description of a Union officer.
Photo by Al Zirkle
 
Exhibits at Ellwood
A number of exhibits explain the history of Ellwood.
 
View from Ellwood
The area around Ellwood still retains a pastoral atmosphere.
 
Wilderness Exhibit Shelter Tour Stop Sign

If you are following the Virtual Tour of Wilderness, proceed to next stop, The Wilderness Exhibit Shelter.

If you are following the Virtual Tour of Chancellorsville, proceed to next stop, "Stonewall" Jackson Shrine.

Did You Know?

Cannon at Hazel Grove on the Chancellorsville Battlefield

There are five trails through the Chancellorsville Battlefield ranging in distance from a short walk around the visitor center to where Stonewall Jackson was shot to a 4 mile trail.