Chancellorsville Visitor Center Closed Beginning Dec. 23
The Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center will be closed for renovation work until March 15, when we expect to open on a limited basis. The information desk, restrooms, and bookstore will open then, but exhibits will be closed as we install new.
Exhibit renovations at Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center
The Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center will be closed Friday, March 7, and exhibits will be unavailable as we work on dismantling existing exhibits and prepare for new. The bookstore will remain open.
Special Bus Tour of the Mine Run Campaign
For Immediate Release – SEPTEMBER 13, 2013
MINE RUN CAMPAIGN 150TH ANNIVERSARY BUS TOUR – NOVEMBER 23
FREDERICKSBURG, VIRGINIA –Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park and Friends of Wilderness Battlefield will sponsor a bus tour of the Mine Run Campaign on Saturday, November 23.The tour will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the campaign which occurred November 26-December 1, 1863.The tour departs from the Gordon Road commuter lot on Route 3 (Plank Road), about five miles west of Fredericksburg.Participants should bring their own lunch and drinks and wear appropriate clothing and footwear for walking about three miles.The tour will last from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.The cost of the tour is $40 per person.Advanced reservations must be made by calling 540-372-3034.
After the battle of Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern
Miscalculations, muddy roads and indecisiveness slowed the Federal attempt to surprise the
desperate fighting across the Payne farm fields and through the adjacent woods until dark.
set of defensive works.The Federals however, concluded that an attack on the southern end
For additional information, call 540-373-6124.
Did You Know?
The famous photo of the Sunken Road at Fredericksburg was taken on May 3, 1863 during the 2nd Battle of Fredericksburg. The dead are members of Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade.