Pilgrimage to Freedom event and River Baptism
Immediate Media Release
Pilgrimage to Freedom Event and River Baptism
Sponsored by African American Heritage Alliance and Providence Baptist Church
Contact: Zann Nelson 540-547-2395/540-718-3465
Date: Aug. 12, 2013
Local Group hosts the 2013 Pilgrimage to Freedom Event
OnSunday August 25the African American Heritage Alliance (The Alliance) is sponsoring the second commemoration of the ‘Pilgrimage to Freedom’ event. The commemoration event will begin at3 pm(guests should arrive by2 pm) and will include the River Walk at Cow’s Ford, a hymn sing performed by the River Bank Choir and the reading of names of the United States Colored Troops (USCT) born in Culpeper.
Following the River Walk at4 pm, the historic Providence Baptist Church (PBC) of Remington will be hosting a Sacrament of Holy Baptism service in the Rappahannock River at Cow’s Ford. The service is open to all.
In August of 1862 fugitive slaves from Culpeper and surrounding counties courageously sought self –emancipation by crossing the Rappahannock at this very ford following Pope’s Union troops as they departed Culpeper County.
To hold a baptism ceremony in this same location is nothing short of providence!
The two events will be held on the Rappahannock River near Remington, VA and on the actual site of the original 1862 crossing. Signage will be posted on the day of or participants may contact organizers below.
Registration and a signed waiver are required to participate in the River Walk and or the baptism service. Registration can be filled out in advance or will be available on site. Events are conditional upon the state of the river and the weather.
For more information regarding the baptism service please contact Pastor Harpe at 540-439-8770 or visitwww.pbcremington.com. For more information about the Pilgrimage to Freedom event contact Zann Nelson at 540-547-2395 firstname.lastname@example.org visitwww.thequestforhistory@
Did You Know?
Both Ellwood and Chatham were owned by the Lacy family during the Civil War. Both houses are part of Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park.