Chancellorsville Visitor Center Closed Beginning Dec. 23
The Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor Center will be closed for renovation work until March 15, when we expect to open on a limited basis. The information desk, restrooms, and bookstore will open then, but exhibits will be closed as we install new.
Exhibit renovations at Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center
The Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center will be closed Friday, March 7, and exhibits will be unavailable as we work on dismantling existing exhibits and prepare for new. The bookstore will remain open.
Lee Hill Trail
Robert E. Lee's command post during the Battle of Fredericksburg was atop a hill then known as Telegraph Hill. As he watched the slaughter on the plains below, he made his famous statement, "It is good that war is so terrible, or we would come to love it." It was also here that Lee had two close calls with death. A nearby cannon exploded sending large pieces of iron in the air around much of the high Confederate command. Luckily, no one was injured. A second incident occurred when an incoming cannon explosive projectile landed near Lee, but failed to explode. During a 2nd Battle of Fredericksburg on May 3, 1863 (part of the Chancellorsville Campaign), the Confederate force on this hill was overrun by units of the Union VI Corps. This high ground would forever after be known as Lee Hill.
Did You Know?
The famous photo of the Sunken Road at Fredericksburg was taken on May 3, 1863 during the 2nd Battle of Fredericksburg. The dead are members of Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade.