Virtual Tour Stop, Germanna Ford
During the winter of 1863-1864, the Rapidan River separated the opposing armies. The Wilderness Campaign began when the Union army, with the exception of the Second Corps crossed the river at Germanna Ford on May 4-5, 1864. The Second Corps crossed at Ely's Ford. This photo shows the Union army crossing at Germanna Ford during the Wilderness Campaign.
This modern photo shows the Rapidan River at Germanna Ford. The ford was used both during the Chancellorsville and Wilderness campaigns as well as other times during the war.